Praying in All Aspects of Life
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice evermore.
17 Pray without ceasing.
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
What do we learn from the context?
1 Thessalonians 5:12-21
Context of the Text
- Appreciate and respect your leaders. (12-13)
- Be respectful to one another too. (13)
- Encourage the ones who need it, and be patient with them. (14)
- Don’t seek revenge—always do good toward others. (15)
- Always be joyful (16), prayerful (17), and thankful—no matter what the circumstance. (18)
- Be open to the working of the Holy Spirit in your life. (19)
- Be careful that it is the Spirit at work. (20)
- Stay away from everything that is evil. (21)
What kind of prayer am I to pray?
1 Thessalonians 5:17
Types of Prayer
- Praise and Adoration
- We pray to God, in the name of Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Where am I to pray? How am I to pray?
- This is NOT referring to ‘uninterrupted prayer,’ but the idea of ‘constantly recurring prayer’—kind of like an incessant cough.
- God wants the lessons taught during those difficult circumstances to be made effectual in us by His power.